From Japanese 禅 (zen), from Middle Chinese 禪 (MC d͡ʑiᴇn) (compare Mandarin 禅 (Chán), an abbreviation of 禪那 (MC d͡ʑiᴇn nɑ), from Sanskrit ध्यान (dhyāna, “a type of meditation”). Akin to dhyana.
- (religion) A denomination of Buddhism.
- (religion) Profound meditation within that denomination of Buddhism.
- An approach to an activity, skill, or subject that emphasizes simplicity and intuition rather than conventional thinking or fixation on goals.
zen (comparative more zen, superlative most zen)
- (religion) Pertaining to this denomination of Buddhism.
- (colloquial) Enlightened, unburdened and free of worries; chill, extremely relaxed and collected.
Try searching for words with the letters ZEN, words with the phrase ZEN, words starting with the letters ZEN, or words ending in the letters ZEN.