Borrowed from French pédale, Italian pedale, Latin pedālis.
pedal (plural pedals)
- A lever operated by one's foot that is used to control or power a machine or mechanism, such as a bicycle or piano
- (medicine) a foot or footlike part.
- (music) An effects unit, especially one designed to be activated by being stepped on.
- (equestrian, humorous) A stirrup.
- (music) The ranks of pipes played from the pedal-board of an organ.
pedal (third-person singular simple present pedals, present participle (UK) pedalling or (US) pedaling, simple past and past participle (UK) pedalled or (US) pedaled)
- To operate a pedal attached to a wheel in a continuous circular motion.
- To operate a bicycle.
pedal (not comparable)
- Of or relating to the foot.