From Middle English softe (“soft, easy, gentle, yielding”), from Old English sōfte, alteration of earlier sēfte (“soft, gentle, easy, comfortable”), from Proto-Germanic *samftijaz (“level, even, smooth, soft, gentle”) (compare *sōmiz (“agreeable, fitting”)), from Proto-Indo-European *semptio-, *semtio-, from *sem- (“one, whole”). Cognate with West Frisian sêft (“gentle; soft”), Dutch zacht (“soft”), German Low German sacht (“soft”), German sanft (“soft, yielding”), Old Norse sœmr (“agreeable, fitting”), samr (“same”). More at seem, same.
soft (comparative softer, superlative softest)
- Easily giving way under pressure.
- (of cloth or similar material) Smooth and flexible; not rough, rugged, or harsh.
- (of a sound) Quiet.
- Expressing gentleness or tenderness; mild; conciliatory; courteous; kind.
- Gentle in action or motion; easy.
- Weak in character; impressible.
- Requiring little or no effort; easy.
- Not bright or intense.
- Having a slight angle from straight.
- (linguistics) Voiced; sonant.
- (linguistics, rare) voiceless
- (linguistics, Slavic languages) palatalized
- (slang) Lacking strength or resolve; not tough, wimpy.
- (of water) Low in dissolved calcium compounds.
- (Britain, colloquial) Foolish.
- (physics) Of a ferromagnetic material; a material that becomes essentially non magnetic when an external magnetic field is removed, a material with a low magnetic coercivity. (compare hard)
- (of a person) Physically or emotionally weak.
- Incomplete, or temporary; not a full action.
- (Britain, of a man) Effeminate.
- Agreeable to the senses.
- Not harsh or offensive to the sight; not glaring or jagged; pleasing to the eye.
- (archaic) Be quiet; hold; stop; not so fast.
soft (comparative more soft, superlative most soft)
- (obsolete) Softly; without roughness or harshness; gently; quietly.
soft (plural softs)
- A soft or foolish person; an idiot.
- (motorsports) Ellipsis of soft tyre (A tyre whose compound is softer than mediums, and harder than supersofts.)
Try searching for words with the letters SOFT, words with the phrase SOFT, words starting with the letters SOFT, or words ending in the letters SOFT.